Before Starting Stroke Class
Watch our before starting safety video and read the entire disclaimer below before exercising.
Anyone participating in a stroke exercise class should first be medically stable. In that light, we encourage people to first talk to their family doctor or trusted healthcare professional prior to starting a class. Feel free to refer them to our site.
While anyone can participate on their own, you may wish to have a family member or other support person with you for the first few classes.
Other Key Considerations:
• Wear comfortable clothing to ensure maximum movement of the exercises
• Wear good footwear with a rubber or other solid sole
• Make sure the chair is strong and in proper working order
• Position your chair on a flat surface
• Ensure there is ample room around the chair so you don’t hit anything
• For those in a wheel chair ensure the brakes are locked on. If you feel stable enough you can remove your armrests and/or footplates to allow more freedom of movement.
• The exercises should not cause pain. Only move as far as is comfortable.
The exercises provided by StrokeClass.com are selected for their appropriateness/suitability for people recovering from a stroke, BUT they are general in nature, and are not to be interpreted as a recommendation for a specific treatment plan, product, or course of action. This program is meant to complement existing programs. Exercise is not without its risks, and this or any other exercise program may result in injury. They include but are not limited to: risk of injury, aggravation of a pre-existing condition, or adverse effect of over-exertion such as muscle strain, abnormal blood pressure, fainting, disorders of heartbeat, and very rare instances of heart attack.
To reduce the risk of injury, before beginning this or any exercise program, please consult a healthcare provider for appropriate exercise prescription and safety precautions. The exercise instruction and advice presented are in no way intended as a substitute for medical consultation. StrokeClass.com disclaims any liability from and in connection with this program. As with any exercise program, if at any point during your workout you begin to feel faint, dizzy, or have physical discomfort, you should stop immediately and consult a physician.